Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cocoa, a monkey and a Yogi

May 6 - Aripo
Below are a series of photos taken during an afternoon visit to the gorgeous mountain village of Aripo. I began the afternoon by visiting my friend Thompson - we tramped through the dry leaves (just like home in autumn!) of his cocoa estate, accompanied by his ever-present dogs Sheba and Sheldon, and he told me much about growing cocoa, processing cocoa, the demise of the industry in Trinidad, the ill effects of the CEPEP program and his refusal to sell his land to a Canadian Hotel developper so that he may will it to his children. I like this man.
Afterwards I stopped at Aripo Cottages to check it out as a potential place to spend the weekend with my parents during their upcoming visit. Great views, quaint cottage and even a red howler monkey as a pet!
Lastly I stopped at the yoga ashram that I had been meaning to visit for a long time. As one might expect in a place like this, it was a somewhat spiritual and auspicious visit as the resident yogi showed me around an invited me to a sunday morning teaching session. The ashram is located on a beautiful spot at the confluence of three rivers - the combination of which is reputed to supply water resembling the spiritual qualities of the holy Ganges in India.

Door detail at the Aripo Cottage


Ganges-like water at the Datta Ganga Ashram
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Blogger kale sookie said...

Can you give driving directions from Port-of-Spain to staircase at the Aripo Datta Ganga river?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home